One type of cookie is a text file. It is sent to your browser and stored on your computer, tablet, or phone. When you visit our sites or apps, it helps us remember you.
What Are Cookies?
- Staying signed in
- How you use our site
- Showing you relevant journalism
- Showing you relevant cutmovie.co.uk products and services
- collaborating with partners to deliver relevant ads
- Let us finally publish the journalism you read on our site.
In the following sections, we explain how cookies and similar technologies work on our site, and how to manage them.
Cookies Come in Many Varieties:
Cookies are set by the cutmovie.co.uk when you use our site
Third-party cookies – cookies set by sites other than the cutmovie.co.uk. This includes content from other websites that may set their own cookies. If you share a cutmovie.co.uk page link, the service may set a cookie on your browser.
Which Cookies Do We Use?
We Use Four Types:
- Strictly Necessary – cookies that are required to provide requested services and cannot be disabled via the privacy settings link. For example, cookies allow you to log into your cutmovie.co.uk account and leave comments. These functions and services will not work if your browser is set to block cookies. We can’t save your cookie preferences, for example.
- Performance cookies track your visits to our sites and how you use them. We use this data to better understand how our users interact with our journalism and to improve our sites and apps. For example, we track which pages are most frequently visited and by whom. Third-party cookies help us perform better.
- Functionality – cookies that help us recognize you and remember your preferences or settings when you return to our site. For example, if you are in the UK, we will remember this and send you the UK homepage rather than the US or Australia homepage. Cookies from both parties are used.
- Information about your visit to our site, including content viewed, links clicked, and your IP address. More information is provided below.
Do Cookies Last Long?
- Session cookies – cookies that expire when you close your browser, like Internet Explorer or Safari
- Remain on your device after your browser closes for a period of time specified in the cookie (but not longer than 13 months). We use these cookies to remember you across visits, for example to remember your preferences.
Why Do We Advertise With Cookies?
Our journalism has been partially funded by advertising since the Manchester cutmovie.co.uk’s inception in 1821. As a result, our journalists are free to criticize the actions of companies and organizations that advertise or sponsor content on Guardian sites or publications.
People who buy a newspaper or subscribe to our print or digital editions are increasingly funding us directly. But we still rely on marketing to increase our supporter base, and advertising to fund our journalism. So cookies help the cutmovie.co.uk without jeopardizing our independence or values.
How Do We Advertise With Cookies?
- Some of the cookies and other technologies we use to track your activity on our site are for advertising purposes. We can then show you ads based on your interests. For example, if you read a lot of food and drink articles, you may see more food and drink ads from others.
- How do advertisers use third-party cookies?
Our advertising partners have access to online data collected by cookies and similar technologies. You may see advertisements on other websites based on your browsing habits on our sites. Our advertising partners may also show you ads on our sites based on your browsing habits on other sites.
Online retargeting allows us and our advertising partners to show you ads based on your browsing habits and interactions with other sites. Using cookies may result in you seeing advertising based on what you’ve looked at on our sites. For example, if you visit an online clothing store’s website, you may see advertisements for the same store showing special offers or similar products. Without making a purchase, companies can advertise to you.
Other parties collect user data via cookies, tags, and pixels. Like cookies, tags and pixels are collected through embedded images.
How to Block Advertising Cookies?
Not a Californian or US resident? Click the Privacy settings link in the footer of every page on our site to control this technology. Please see “How to Manage Cookies at the cutmovie.co.uk” for more details.
By clicking the “California resident – Do not sell” link located in the footer of every page on our site, or the “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” button inside our privacy banner, you can opt out of all personal information sales via cookies, tags pixels and web beacons.
- Your privacy settings can be changed by clicking the Privacy link in the footer of every page on our site. This link appears at the bottom of every page on our sites. These Privacy settings allow you to withdraw your consent to cookies or object to their use for legitimate interests.
- If you are in the US, please use the “California resident – Do Not Sell” button in the footer of every page.
- Opting out reduces the number of advertising partners with whom we share your data, but you will still see some targeted advertising and general cutmovie.co.uk reader advertising.
- You can disable some cookies via Your Online Choices. You may need to repeat this step for each new IP address, device, or VPN. You can also change the global privacy setting or plug-in via your browser.
- You can also disable cookies in your browser by changing the cookie settings. Your browser’s “options” or “preferences” menu usually contains these settings. You can use the “Help” option in your browser or the links below. Some features on our sites may not work properly if you do this.